Improving Sepsis Rates with Clinical Communications Software
Communication software and systems within a hospital are notoriously disconnected because they come from different vendors, operate on a variety of platforms, and are often specialized for each department. However, it’s necessary for data or partial data, from one system to be communicated to another system. Unfortunately, disparate technology doesn’t always “talk” with each other reliably or quickly. Improving healthcare communication gaps can enhance patient care and critically, reduce sepsis mortality.
Reducing Sepsis Mortality Rates with Interoperability
According to the CDC, over 1.5 million people contract sepsis every year in the United States and an astounding 250,000 Americans die from sepsis each year. Electronic warning systems help to identify patients who are at-risk for sepsis and help to deliver life-saving antibiotics. These systems will send alerts to a nurse station phone and medical staff cell phones. However, because the equipment used in hospitals is provider by different suppliers, the technology doesn't always function correctly. In healthcare, systems that don't communicate properly can mean life or death. Streamlining hospital communications save lives by enabling healthcare professionals to react quicker to health monitor alarms.
Software such as our MergeComm integration engine is software that bridges the gap between departments and their different communication systems so data from health monitors, care teams, and more can seamlessly communicate.
This kind of technology can help to reduce sepsis mortality rates by:
- Sending automated real-time notifications
- Reliably sending the right message, to the right staff members, on the right device, at the right time
- Reducing alarm fatigue for care teams by notifying for critical alarms
- Integrating with electronic health monitoring systems, such as bed monitoring devices
- Speeding response times with seamless integrations to ADT (HL7) notifications, EMR, Health Information Systems, lab results, and more
Contact us for more information about streamling communications within a hospital, or entire enterprise.